Fairy Tales for Fearless Girls
Author(s): Anita Ganeri
This beautifully illustrated, full-colour hardback presents an inspiring collection of 15 stories from around the world, retold by multi award-winning author Anita Ganeri. Showcasing narratives that celebrate strong, independent women, these fairy tales contain heroines that aren't reduced to being wives or witches! Instead they run free and possess the qualities we would hope for in our daughters and friends: self-confidence, strength, wits, courage, fearlessness, and independence. They live freely, happily ever after, without restraint or narrowly defined roles.
These stories include: * Atalanta the Huntress (Greece)* Nana Miriam (Niger)* Fitcher's Bird (Germany)* The Girl and the Puma (Argentina)* Li Chi Slays the Serpent (China)* Brave Woman Counts Coup (US/White River Sioux)* Mizilca (Romania)* The Pirate Princess (Poland/Jewish)* The Samurai Maiden (Japan)* Molly Whuppie (England)
Accompanied by magical illustrations, these stories will capture the hearts and minds of young readers everywhere.
ABOUT THE SERIES: Inspiring Heroines brings together classic children's tales which have amazing women and girls at their centre. These characters defy gender-expectations and provide positive role models for young readers.
Anita Ganeri is an award-winning author (2010 Joy Tivy Education Medal, 2009 Blue Peter Book Award, 2008 Geographical Association Highly Commended Award, 2007 Practical Pre-School Award) of children's books, writing on a range of topics, from Ancient Romans to Evolution. She also specialises in retelling traditional tales, from different cultures, countries and perspectives. Her recent titles include Star Stories for Templar Publishing, telling the stories behind the constellations, and Fairytales for Fearless Girls for Arcturus, whose feisty heroines remind her of her fearless daughter.Khoa Le is the author and illustrator of numerous picture books. She also works as a graphic designer and painter. Khoa has participated in several group and solo exhibitions in different Asian countries.
- The Tale of Brave Bradamante and Her Amazing Flying Horse (France/Italy/Spain)
- Atalanta, the Fleet-Footed Huntress (Greece)
- Nana Miriam and the Horrible Hippopotamus (Niger)
- The Amazing Adventures of Tokoyo (Japan)
- How Little Molly Whuppie Outwitted the Giant (Britain)
- How Mizilca Tricked a Sultan and Saved Her Father From Disgrace (Romania/Bulgaria/Turkey/Armenia)
- Tatterhood and Dacia (Norway)
- Princess Imani and the Magic Fan (India)
- Maada and the Mountain Dweller (Canada)
- Sumac and the Search for the Magic Lake (Peru)
- Feng Mian, the Head of the Family (China)
- Unanana and the Elephant (Botswana/Tanzania)
- The Warrior Queen and the Wizard (Russia)
- Fallon, the Girl from the Northland (Finland)
- The Princess, the Merchants, and the Very Unusual Cupboard (Sudan)
- : 9781789502534
- : Arcturus Publishing Ltd
- : Arcturus
- : books
- : Anita Ganeri
- : Hardback
- : Khoa Le
- : English
- : 398.2082 (23)
- : Colour Throughout